I may have figured out what to do with the string blocks I didn't use in the Quiltville mystery quilt. They are already trimmed to work with a 10 1/2" finished block, a rather funky size, so I was unsure what to do. If I trimmed any more, their little corner triangles would become minuscule.
Then I was browsing the Connecting Threads website and saw a quilt called Treasure Chest. That quilt's block was bigger and different but it got me to thinking. And when I did I came up with this idea:
This would be the full-monty, use-up-all-the-string-blocks version that would be as large as my last Quiltville mystery quilt (which was very large, indeed) but it could be made smaller. The main block has some minor similarities with that quilt's block, but I think it looks a bit better with the string blocks. Maybe it's the red/white/blue color scheme. Maybe it's all the little triangles (all 1,296 of them). Whatever it is, I like it. But this would not be made quickly. It would be a real commitment quilt.
I don't know if it's to be or not, but it's a good idea.