Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Cookie-palooza

Oh, it's that time of year again when I bake myself into a stupor assembling cookie boxes for neighbors and such.  Not family because they don't live close to me, although I am going to make a batch of peanut butter fudge to mail to my brother-in-law tomorrow.  But the people on my street get cookies, my hairdresser and her partner, the mailman, the trashmen, the lawn guy, etc, etc.  Lots of cookies.

I have blogged about this before so I won't retread that ground, except to say that this year, like last, was different because with the diabetes I can't partake of the cookies.  However, I want to know how they turned out, so I passed on lunch and blew my carb allotment on tasting.  They're all pretty good.

Some, not all, of them

Just how many cookies did I bake?  Lord, I have no idea.  I lost count.  But there are chocolate chip, peanut butter, oatmeal, snickerdoodles (I would make them just for the name, but they are SO GOOD), spritz, orange, and coconut.  Multiple batches of each - the dining table is covered.  The only drawback is the smell of sugar and baked goods is about to make me barf.  I'm making a pizza for dinner because I need spicy to counteract all this sweet. 

After dinner I will spread out large pieces of waxed paper and portion out bags of each kind, then load the cookie boxes and write the cards.  I can do this while "White Christmas" is on TV.  Isn't that just the quintessential holiday evening?

2 comments:

pcflamingo said...

That is too funny! "The smell of sugar is about to make me barf." I hear you. I'm not diabetic, but my doctor gave me the Stink Eye at our last visit and told me to Get A Grip over salt, carbs, blah, blah, blah. So I will do a modicum of baking with a minimum of tasting this year. I'll probably survive, just like you :D

Saska said...

Peanut Butter fudge??? Do you need my address...or at least send me your recipe? I LOVE anything with peanutbutter in it!

Orca Bay looks good.