Saturday, September 3, 2011

Oh, the terrors of mystery quilts!

The new issue of Quilter's Newsletter Magazine arrived today.  It contained the final installment of their mystery quilt, so as soon as possible after dinner I scrambled into the sewing room, pushed back the rows of the diamond log cabin and laid out all the pieces.  I was on pins and needles whether it would work in my fabric choices.

There were a couple of surprises.  The yellows aren't as prominent as I thought they would be.  True, there will be an outside border of the yellow print and there's yellow in the center but it doesn't really shine out.  The blues are a lot brighter than I figured and it makes the quilt darker.  I guess it's OK. 

This is a smaller quilt, 74 inches square, and I'm debating whether to try to add another border and enlarge it or just let it be what it is.  I can put it on the foot of the bed or over the back of the couch.      
This quilt was a lot of work and I'm kind of on the fence about it.  What do you think?  I'll post an actual picture when it's completed but I have to box it up and finish that diamond log cabin first.  The primary reason I wanted to take a picture was that with  all the color substitutions I did I had a hard time correlating it with the instructions and figuring out how it went together.

1 comment:

Paula, the quilter said...

I just signed up with my BFF at the LQS for a 6 hour mystery quilt. The first step/clue gives the fabric needed and how to cut. There are 4-6 fabrics. I am actually only going to do 4 and hope it works out. Terrors, yes.