Well folks, I have only one thing to say: NO ONE could possibly make that kit per their instructions. I did a test run and even with the freezer paper fused to the back of the black fabric, and only cutting out one area at a time, by the time I had three pieces reverse appliqued, it was a stretched-out mess! The bias pieces being inset got all squalled, the thin black bands got distorted, it looked terrible. So I stepped back, thought a minute and decided, "I can applique on the top, but there's no way in heaven this is going to work."
So I peeled the freezer paper off the back and junked it. I cut another black fabric rectangle, used my dressmaker's carbon paper to mark out the design on the wrong side, and started cutting up the freezer paper for templates. I've finished sewing three segments on already and it will be a breeze. It's big, but I imagine that if you added all the projects completed since the first of the year I have already appliqued an equal area.
Having the black fabric on the top and the colors inset into cutouts would have been neater, but -- ain't no way!