Sunday, July 13, 2008

The dragonfly is flying!

Now that I have decided how to do the dragonfly applique, it's going fast. This is a large item, 30" x 40", and the pieces to be appliqued are large too. I sewed on six pieces last night and three today - had to stop for mundane things like laundry! I also worked on the binding for a baby quilt gift that I really must finish soon. But the key was doing it the usual way and trashing the reverse applique idea. That would have been a nightmare.

Brenda has been posting about taking an applique class. I have to admit that what her teacher told her about applique flies in the face of my experience. It would be interesting to have a teacher's input, but I usually just blunder along and figure out how I can best accomplish my goals. I have never taken any kind of quilting class. I have read a few books, but generally find my own way. The key, I think, is that I have been sewing since I was a little kid, and all my dressmaking and home dec sewing background helps. As a matter of fact, by the time I took Home Ec my freshman year in high school I was already sewing my own clothes and was bored to death the whole year. Maybe I'm not the class-taking type!

1 comment:

jacquie said...

I'm not much of a class taker either. I keep saying I should, but I never do. Most of the time I find my own way. (in my own good time!)