Saturday, January 29, 2011

One hundred little blocks

One hundred eight inch blocks, ready to become a very large quilt. I know I'm going to use a 1 1/2" to 2" sashing with corner blocks, and 3" or 4" outer border, making a quilt that's around 105" square. What I don't know is what color these pieces are going to be! Some of the blocks have neutrals around the edge so light neutral sashing would allow the blocks to visually "bleed" into the sashing. Other blocks have tan patches at the edge which would do the same if I use a darker neutral. There are so very many colors in this group that what would go with them all?

Here's the blocks. I'd love to hear suggestions.



On a final note, I love love love that last block! About 15% of the blocks were paper pieced, and it makes for such beautiful sharp corners and lines. Also take a look at that Snail's Trail block ad all the blocks with flag-like motifs. Foundation paper piecing is the only way to go with those.
The other Barbara Brackman Civil War sampler is also going forth. Today's block was Kansas Troubles. That quilt will have 52 blocks set 7 x 8, with a large applique block in the center. The applique is planned to be an eagle and shield design if I can find one I like. I'd appreciate suggestions on that too. The block will be 18" square.

4 comments:

*karendianne. said...

Oh wow, you're amazing! How fun. I don't have any opinion to offer really. I mean, personally I'm into chrome yellow but that's just me. I totally know that's me! This is your quilt so I look forward to seeing what you come up with. One hundred blocks. Wow!

Marla said...

One word here....WOW!

joe tulips said...

The blocks are so wonderful! You make it look so easy!

Tanya said...

Look at all those gorgeous blocks. From my side of the world it seems like they went together so quickly and like magic. A little light colored rust in the sashing might be nice...Or GOLD!