Sunday, January 30, 2011

A comment about foundation piecing

Foundation paper piecing was never my favorite. I think it's because I used it for pictorial subjects, where all the little patches were very random shapes, and it's sometimes more difficult to figure out what size piece of fabric to cut that will cover the area but not waste fabric, when working upside down and backward. I always felt there was a lot of waste.

But using it for geometric blocks is a whole 'nuther story! You can measure each segment, cut patches that are the right shape and a bit larger with minimal waste, and know that when you flip the patch over after stitching there won't be the "DOH!" moment where it's just a little too small. (I know you know what I'm talking about.)

And the points and corners and lines are so crisp and straight, no matter how small the patches. Removing the paper is still a pill, but the results might be worth it, if you're working small.

3 comments:

SandyQuilts said...

To make paper removal easier .. sprits with a small amount of water, wait a minute then removal. Easy.

Paula, the quilter said...

I think you and I were FPPing at the same time, because I never did like the technique except for geometric blocks. This is the ONLY way I will FPP.

Greenmare said...

yes, the pictoral ones............ well my wine glass mistake illustrates your point! I try not to use paper though I use the thinnest interfacing I can and trace the pattern onto that and just leave it on to stabilize any off grain pieces (like almost all of the ones on pictorals!) come on over to my blog I'm having a give away!