Monday, April 19, 2010

Another reason not to live here

Well, in addition to topography that can best be described as "bowl-shaped", which traps any and all particulates in a cloud hovering over the city, this part of the southeast is blessed (cursed?) with a plethora of pines and oak trees which are busily churning out various pollen granules to bedevil those of us with less than perfectly behaved sinuses.

I give you this as an example: That mess is pollen from a southern red oak tree. Which I have. Right next to my house. There's clouds of the stuff all over the yard, my roof, clogging my gutters, covering my sidewalks.
You can see what a mess it makes of the mulch.
And it's been windy, so some of it has already blown away. It was worse yesterday.
I even have oak pollen tumbleweeds rolling around on the lawn. Oh, good grief.
I need a refill for my Astepro prescription.

2 comments:

catsinger said...

..I have the same annual mess from my oak tree...at least this year, the rain has made it less "friable" so if it ever stops raining here I can clean it up... I think I had some pictures of my "oak blossom mess" in the "Spring has sprung,#7" post...
so I FEEL your pain...

julieQ said...

Yes, yes...we have been scooping and sweeping and ...sneezing! Lots of wigglies off the trees!