Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Synchronicity

Hancock's Fabrics had a Columbus Day sale yesterday so of course I had to check out the cottons. Nothing was appealing to me until I saw this lovely leaf print. It might be difficult to see in the photo, but the background is black, with dark taupe leaf shapes under the toss of multi-colored leaves.

I wasn't sure what I would do with it but liked it because I don't use much black and it would be different. So I bought what was left on the bolt, which turned out be slightly shy of 3 yards. It would make a good border or focus fabric.

After I got home, I remembered that the latest issue of Quilters' Newsletter had two pages of leaf applique designs. That was probably percolating around in my subconscious when I bought the fabric. So now I know what I will eventually do: an applique quilt with blocks comprised of wreaths of fall leaves, using this as the border and a coordinating plaid for the sashing. Now all I have to do is find the plaid. Any suggestions?

It's strange how your brain is working on designs even though you don't realize it.

Oh, yes. I had to hang the fabric on the den door to get a good picture. Look who had to investigate.

1 comment:

Cathi said...

What a great design idea -- that fabric is perfect for it. Kitty inspectors are a necessary part of quilting, imo. LOL