Saturday, October 18, 2008

Do you see a pattern here?

This is a mock-up of a pattern I am working on now. I made it using the draw functions in MS Word because that's all I have. It's an expansion of an allover pattern that was originally designed as a lap quilt. I made it queen size by expanding and extrapolating the pattern. The colors don't match the actual fabric, but are made high-contrast to show the pattern. The actual fabrics are from the Benartex Meadowbrook line from about five years ago. The blue squares are all smoky plums, and the reds are salmon and coral. I used a fat quarter bundle and sorted the fabrics into six piles: Salmon, plum, light green, dark green, gold, cream. It's very scrappy since it uses all 40+ fabrics from the collection.

When you break the pattern down, there are three blocks used:




Here's the thing: I can see a pattern when I look at the flimsy, but my husband says he doesn't, that it just looks random. It might be a function of the fact that the actual fabrics are more subtly colored. It might be that the eye wants to force all those intersections of half square triangles into pinwheels when they're not. I don't know; it might be why I shelved the project nearly five years ago and didn't finish it. I'm going to reserve judgment until I have the top competed. I love the colors, even though it may not be the most successful quilt I ever made. Can you see the pattern? It helps to move back from the screen and squint a bit.

No comments: