Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Did I really do that?

Soon after we renovated our kitchen, I set out to find a pattern for a small blue quilt to hang in the back entry hall. Keepsake Quilting had a small sampler quilt with the right blues, using Civil War repro fabrics which seemed just right. Happily I pieced the small sampler, thinking "This will be perfect in the kitchen, and I'll even hand quilt it."

So I pieced it, basted it and started quilting. As I neared completion of the first row, something caught my eye.

Here's a view of the whole quilt:

And here's a close-up: (do you see it?)

Yep, I goofed up the Clay's Choice block! Now, how did I piece it, press it, baste it, and start quilting before I saw that mistake!

At that point, I folded it up in disgust and put it in the closet. This morning I was pulling out UFO's and found it, three years later. I need to finish it, and the only thing I can do is pick loose that one patch and hand sew it back in using an applique stitch. Sometimes you find a screw-up like this and wonder where your brain was at the time!

6 comments:

Three Birds Inspired said...

A couple of months ago I did something similar...except that I had not quilted it yet when I found it. What a bummer!

Elaine Adair said...

Leave it in. It's a good conversation starter, a lesson in humility and a sign of ....

Join the crowd!

Marla said...

Isn't it utterly amazing how we can look at a mistake over and over and over and not notice until too late!!! Annoying but a part of quilting!!

Linda said...

I did something similar. Some friends of mine and I made a love quilt for a boy that had lost his father. I put all the blocks together. There was one block I didn't have a clue as to what the block was and I was too embarrassed to ask the maker what it was. I turned that block every which way. I just decided to sew it in and go for it. I finished the quilt and quilted it, bound it, put a name tag on it and laid it on the floor to take a picture and that's when I saw it....It was the boy's name and of course, it was upside down! I HAD to take the quilt apart and correct the block. OMG, what an ordeal but it would have driven me crazy as well as embarrassed me to give this the way it was. Humility or not, I say correct it if you can't live with it...I hazard to say, you sound like me so I expect to see the corrected block in the next picture. Hugs, Linda

Linda said...

The quilt is lovely, even with the mistake....Hugs, Linda

I should have said that in my last post first...

Tanya said...

I've done that (I think you read about one of my mishaps) and it is amazing to me that I can get so far along without realizing the mistake. Sometime taking a picture of the finished flimsy reveals the blooper for me. I need to thank my blog for inspiring me to take pictures at different quilt stages.