Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Like I haven't been making enough quilts... ... ...

I got an email from a former coworker who left for a better job shortly before I retired. I hear from him sometimes, when they have life changes to share. They are expecting their second child in August, so I need to start thinking about a baby quilt for them. They don't know the sex yet.

My husband suggests I finish the "Give a Hoot!" quilt and give them that one, but I think I had better wait until I know if it's a boy or girl. His wife has a little more traditional taste, I think, and the Hoot quilt is a bit bright and eccentric, especially if it's a girl.

Most of my baby gift quilts just look like traditional quilts, only shrunk. Occasionally, I'll do a juvenile pattern, such as the tropical fish or the sailboat quilts I did for my hairdresser's twins. I did a Turning Twenty design in blue and yellow for the first child of the friend who's expecting in August. They're house-hunting, so by the time the baby's arrived they may have nursery colors picked out and I can coordinate a quilt with them.

I can't tell you how many times I've made a cute baby quilt to my color preferences, and when it's presented been told that it is the colors the parents picked for the nursery. It gets spooky. Maybe I should emulate Karnak the Great and just touch my head to his email on the computer screen and get inspired! (Sorry, had to sneak a Johnnie Carson reference in!)

No comments: