Saturday, February 9, 2008

Cooking with Campbell's soup - really

All I knew was it was chicken for dinner. Two boneless, skinless breasts were thawing in the refrigerator. And I was completely out of ideas. Then, I remembered that I used to stuff the butterflied breasts with a mushroom stuffing and bake in a cream sauce. Well, cream was out - literally, didn't have any - and figured that my bod didn't need any more cream sauce. What was in the pantry? Ah, cream of mushroom soup (not the condensed kind, the ready to eat variety). Not bad on the calories. Let's see.

I sauteed a few sliced up mushrooms, added some bread crumbs, seasoning and nutmeg, with a bit of butter for moisture. Then, I butterflied the chicken breasts and stuffed them. Wiped out the skillet where the mushrooms were cooked and added a bit of oil, then sauteed the breast bundles on both sides. After that, poured the soup over the top and simmered covered until the chicken was done. After removing the chicken, stirred in a slurry of cornstarch and water to thicken the sauce.

Sliced thinly and fanned out artfully on a platter with the sauce drizzled over the top, this didn't look like a Campbell's recipe. It looked pretty fancy, actually. And it was good. And quick. I should bite my tongue before I mock a Campbell's soup recipe again.

No comments: