Monday, June 21, 2010

Windmills of Provence

I just finished adding the last border to this Project Linus quilt, which I would call Windmills of Provence if I could name it. Unfortunately, Project Linus won't let you label your quilts. Sometimes I think that's a shame, because if the Project Linus quilts are still around in the future people won't know who gave their time and love to make a quilt to comfort a child, and quiltmakers are anonymous enough as it is. It isn't a "grab the glory" thing, it's "credit where credit is due". This is made from a couple of charm packs of "A Breath of Avignon", a yard of the blue/white fleur de lis plus some white and red from the stash. It's about 46" x 55".

I started out modeling it on the Schnibbles pattern "Dulcinea" but after I had made the windmill blocks I decided the colors were too busy to put the blocks side by side. The small red spinner blocks were just the ticket to separate them and add another design element.

What's next? A blue and yellow basket quilt, probably. And a lot of binding! I have a backlog again.

5 comments:

Марина Сохончук said...

What a gorgeous quilt. Love your fabric choice. Very nice!

Paula, the quilter said...

I like this. I'm making two pinwheel donation quilts from a Moda Bake shop pattern.

The Calico Cat said...

I know what you are saying about credit & the potential historic signifcance of the Porject Linus quilts, but I have to think about the child who will get the quilt & the state of that child to "need" one. They don't also need the label of charity added... Also PL would have to "police" what was added to the quilt as well. Some well intending people may add quotes, etc. that could be offensive to others. So in the end, no labels is the easiest option...

joe tulips said...

I have never done charity quilts...wait thats not true...I have made a few small things for auctioning off at fund raisers.
I don't think I put my name on the back. I just handed them over.
The rebel in me wonders...can you put your name and year on the inside seam some where? No one will see it untill it falls apart years down the road, by then someone might be thrilled to find a name. and why. project linus.

catsinger said...

...very nice... the windmills & "Dulcinea" reference sound right up my LaMancha alley... :D