Friday, April 9, 2010

The new Quiltmaker issue

I've got some things on my mind today that I needed distraction from thinking about. It's not about me, so I don't feel comfortable talking about the details, but suffice to say I needed a project. The new Quiltmaker had arrived two days ago, and in it I found just the thing.

First, I made the new Bonnie Hunter scrappy blocks for my planned sampler quilt "Patriotic Fervor". This month's block was 9" and is seen in the photo below with the other two blocks, which are 8 1/2" and 6":

The final quilt is going to be one of those mad arrangements of many different size blocks, assembled with pinwheel, flying geese and four patch blocks. I'm looking forward to it. But I need to learn how to use EQ's custom format mode.

Then, last night before I went to bed as I was flipping through the issue I came upon the pattern for "Summer Siesta" on page 16. Well, well, I mused, I have some scraps in those colors. I slipped out of bed and pulled a few pieces from my stash closet. Then this morning I cut out all the pieces. It was completed a couple of hours ago.

The quilt is 48" square. Here's a photo of the quilt top, backing and binding folded on the guest bed:Aren't the colors just scrumptious? This will be a great donation quilt for a little girl.

3 comments:

Three Birds Inspired said...

Very pretty colors!

Kathryn said...

Loving the summer colours on this - a little girl is going to be very lucky. The other quilt blocks look intriguing too - I like those finished quilts with multiple sized blocks - there's something very meditative about letting your eyes follow the different shapes and patterns. I always end up seeing a different shape or pattern every time I look. Hope things are going well for you and the car repairs are under way.

Suze said...

Love the colors!