Friday, October 23, 2009

A south-of-the-border YUM

Anyone who has access to the America's Test Kitchen website needs to look up their recipe for Enchiladas Verde. I had never eaten a tomatillo or a poblano chile before dinner today. My husband wasn't sold on the taste of the tomatillos, but I loved this dish. If you're a Mexican food fan, make this soon. I don't know about other recipes for this dish that you can find online, because it's the first time I have eaten it. I trusted America's Test Kitchen and they never steer me wrong (well, maybe not that scalloped potato recipe with the garlic - but almost never). I would recommend seeing if you can find canned tomatillos and poblanos because roasting them and peeling the peppers is a pain!

I am wrestling with the ethics of including the recipe here. It's on the PBS TV show for free, but you have to be a member to get it online at their website. It's in the cookbook, but I bought that. ARRRGH! I hate copyright issues!

3 comments:

catsinger said...

...hi again, wow...2 non-quilting posts in a row...not being quiltingly-gifted, I generally look at the quilting posts with awe...but a recipe is a different matter...
here in California, we have a lot of access to Mexican canned goods & I must say that the LaPalma[there are other good ones too] canned green enchilada sauce is an excellent short cut...all "green" sauces that are cooked are made with tomatillos & milder green chilies... they are generally available in mild, medium or hot...
[I prefer mild...] at around $2 for a big can, it's an inexpensive alternative to making your own...
also quite tasty...

The Calico Quilter said...

Catsinger, I tried to find canned green chile sauce, canned tomatillos or canned poblanos here in Choo Choo city and came up with nada. The only place I didn't go was the Fresh Market, a hoity toity chain grocery. (You can tell they're upscale, they play Vivaldi instead of Muzak!) I may try them tomorrow. Due to the massive Hispanic influx into the southeast I didn't think I would have trouble finding these ingredients - even our 'cheap' grocery chain has a specialty section carrying Mexican canned goods, incuding, interestingly, Mexican made baby formula from US companies that is also made in the US. I would have figured they were the same.

Elaine Adair said...

Makes you wonder, doesn't it? Personally, while I seldom travel, I have always (5-6 times) been dreadfully ill the day after flying - too many germs, no moving about does NOT lead to good physical health, IMHO.