I've cut out my version of "In Lucinda's Garden" and have started sewing while my husband and his friend watch depressing movies. Since the thing I hate most in the sewing world is assembling flying geese units, that's what I'm tackling first. If I get that out of the way, everything else is a walk in the park. There's 224 of the things, 1 1/2" x 3" finished size. I've knocked out 80 so far. I don't use any of the fancy assembly techniques - just a rectangle, two squares, sew on the diagonal line. I don't feel guilty cutting off the corners and throwing them away on such small units. If they are larger, I try to make HST's out of them. Besides, this is a stash-buster. I've looked at some of this fabric for far too long. I want it gone!
To make this truly scrappy, I pulled out 23 light fabrics and 23 darks for the flying geese, and sorted out the pairings before commencing sewing so that I don't have any duplicate light/dark combinations. The pattern in the magazine just called for 7 lights and 6 darks. I think mine will be more visually interesting. Or at least I hope so.