The first instructions for the mystery quilt have been published, and I'm cutting out patches right now. We will be making 120 square in a square blocks. 120 3 1/2" square in a square blocks. Boy, this Bonnie person likes to work small!
When I make these blocks, I usually cut squares for the corners, sew on the diagonal, and then trim and flip the corners. It wastes a little material, but you can recycle the cut pieces into half square triangles. Bonnie is using the method where you sew slightly oversized triangles on the sides, and then trim the block to size. I balked, because I hate the trim-to-size-later approach. Why don't you just make it the right size to start with? But then I decided to follow her instructions and go with it. Maybe I'll learn something. I'm just hoping I don't regret this. Trimming 120 squares is not my idea of a fun afternoon.
The second thing that bugged me is she is using an Easy Angle and an Easy Square Jr. ruler. I almost never buy a specialty ruler. I have a set of Creative Grids rulers which I adore, because they have the non-slip grip dots on the back and because the marks are thinner, which I think makes cutting more accurate. The 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" is my workhorse. I can use it to square up small blocks, I can use it to cut the diagonal when making triangles from squares. I recently replaced mine because I had used it so much the side of the rotary cutter blade had started to erode the edge of the ruler.
When I finish these segments, I'll add a photo to this post. Back to the cutting board!
Oh, yes, one more thing that cutting out this quilt reinforced for me, something I already knew. When you're doing scrappy, you have to go big or go home. I had pulled 5 different shirtings to use, but when I started cutting out all the triangles, I went back to the stash and got 5 more. The same with the blue center squares. I cut from 7 different blues, but I may go get a few more. If it isn't really scrappy, it just looks paltry and mishmash.
Here's the test block. Yep, it's little.