Monday, June 2, 2008

I am DONE with making purses!


I am so done with making purses I can't tell you. This is Mom's birthday present. It's stuffed with tissue paper to get it in shape, and needs a little steaming to take out a wrinkle or two, but it's done. I'm happy with the way it turned out, but it was a real wrestle to work with that heavy fabric. I know when people make purses they usually do bright prints or unusual fabrics but I wanted to make her an everyday summer purse that would match all her clothes.

A few years ago I bought her a Vera Bradley handbag (it was black background with a print of green leaves, pink buds and pink ribbons - breast cancer awareness special edition) and she does use it, but I guess she pays more attention to matching her purse to her clothes than I do. I have a brown/aqua/blue paisley-floral print Vera that I just love and I carry it with everything! Vera bags are the best when it comes to interior organization and they're well made with sturdy zipper pockets and open pockets for your glasses and cell phone. The only thing that makes it less than perfect is that it has two shoulder straps, one of which is always slipping off my shoulder. I was careful to make Mom's handbag with one strap because she doesn't like the double straps either.

A double strap tote would have been much easier to sew. Adding the D rings to attach the shoulder strap made it more detailed and was simpler than the pattern design, which continued the side gusset into the strap. This pattern got quite a few changes besides the shoulder strap. I added the outside zipper pocket, the inside open pockets for glasses and such, and an inside zipper pocket.

The only depressing thing at this point is that I still haven't made my laptop case! After that, I SWEAR I'm going back to sewing flat things!



7 comments:

Three Birds Inspired said...

I am looking forward to seeing your laptop case. I need to make one but still have not taken the initiative to start.

Joan J said...

My gosh, the handbag looks like it could have been bought in a fine specialty store. Beautiful work. I'm sure your Mom will be delighted!

Mad about Craft said...

A beautiful bag!! Mum should love it.

QuiltingFitzy said...

OMG, I LOVE this purse!!!

I'm in Mom's lane, I like plain.

Might you have a where I could order this pattern?

Catherine Jones McClarin said...

Very nice! Congrats on job completed - celebrate!

Marla said...

This looks like quite a technical bag to make. I am in awe! I make simple bags so I don't have to find a dictionary to learn new words to shout in frustration. Your bag looks incredible and you should feel a real sense of accomplishment. What pattern did you use?

Linda said...

The bag turned out great and I'm sure she will be very pleased with it. You did a very nice job...hugs, Linda