Friday, February 1, 2008

There's hand sewing in my future

The longarm quilting service just called - the quilts for my brother and brother-in-law are done. This is timed just right because my brother-in-law has closed on his house and will start driving east in about a week. That will give me time to do the binding on his quilt. I can postpose competion of my brother's gift since I won't see him until probably March.

I kind of dread all that hand sewing on the binding. I do a straight grain, doubled binding, machine sewn onto the front of the quilt and turned to the back with hand blind hemming. I also miter the corners. On large quilts, that's a LOT of hand hemming, but I don't need to say that for the majority of blog readers who see this. You all probably do the same thing, and know that sometimes it feels like you will never, never finish that binding. It's like blind hemming a football field!

1 comment:

QuiltingFitzy said...

Yes, miles and miles! And OH! The cramps in my hands!

Just keep focused on the outcome, lovely for sure.