Thursday, February 14, 2008

Rrrriiiiiipppppp!

With seam ripper in hand I dispatched the bunny borders from my ugly duckling first thing this morning. They're too nice to be wasted on that dog. I will make a nice pastel baby quilt with them.

Now, as for the pieced part of it: What could I do with all those bright blocks? I'm too cheap to toss them - that's good fabric. So, I dug around in my stash and resurrected a length of a VERY bright tropical fish print.

Unfortunately, there's only enough for a backing, but it's bold enough to stand up to the colors in the blocks. I'm going to use more of the brights and the dotty neutral and make a sort of dots and dashes border (two strips of light, sandwiching a pieced strip of long and short chunks of various brights) and bind it with the dark blue.

Now, I think I can live with it. It's still not an art piece, but it doesn't make me wince. Too bad I don't have more of the fish print. I could have made a cool border or block element with these brights. This all happened because I was trying to stash-bust, and used what monotone pieces I had, even though they were too loud for the print border. Live and learn.

No comments: