Monday, February 4, 2008

The project I will take with me to the old age home.....


.....because it won't be done by then!!!!!!

Every traditional quilter has a Baltimore Album in some stage of completion stuck in the closet. Here's mine. I learned two things from this project: one, it will take for blessed EVER to finish, and two, I don't like applique much! You see those little gathered bluebell flowers on the heart block? I would rather eat dirt than do more of them.

Regardless, I will perservere. I may only get one block a year done, but at that rate I can use my social security money to quilt it when it's done.

4 comments:

Joan J said...

Oh my gosh...but it's SO pretty! I do understand, though. It's a long-term project, for sure. Are you doing the applique by hand or machine? Love your color choices!

The Calico Quilter said...

Joan,
It's all hand applique using freezer paper templates. I never could master needle turned applique. I'm happy with it so far but the process is not my favorite way to spend time. I have a box of Jinny Beyer fat quarters to use on the leaves and flowers. I think the only fabric not Jinny Beyer is the bowl in the fruit bowl block. Her fabrics are just great for this kind of applique.

Paula, the quilter said...

I have finally learned that if I don't like something to leave it alone. Do you know how long it took me to learn to spit out food that tasted foul to me? I always do one test block to see if I like a technique. Lately, my test blocks have been postcard size so I have some fabric postcards on hand to mail out. That being said, the blocks are lovely.

The Calico Quilter said...

Thanks, Paula. I'm just stubborn enough to finish the darned thing. Maybe I can stretch my boundaries. I have seen some beautiful fabric postcards, it might be a good learning tool.