Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Just do it

I have completed the machine quilting on two of my Project Linus quilts, and while I am in no danger of being included in the permanent collection of the museum at Paducah, they aren't that bad.

I decided to quit obsessing and just do it. After the second one was safety pin-basted, I plopped the sewing machine on the kitchen table and tore into it. And you know what? It's OK. I stepped back and tried to look at it objectively, and guess what I saw? A really cute baby quilt that someone will appreciate. If anybody thinks my machine quilting could be better, they're right - but in the final analysis, so what? I'll get better at it as I go along, and this quilt will make somebody happy.

I can make myself nuts second-guessing and obsessing about whether what I have made is good enough. This has to stop.

No comments: